See your Favourite Jobs! Jobs to Compare! Applied Jobs!
Senior Counsel – BMO Financial Group
BMO has an exceptional opportunity for a pragmatic lawyer to join its legal team as Senior Counsel in Chicago, IL. You will provide legal and regulatory advice on products and services relating to broker-dealer and investment advisor regulations for BMO’s US Wealth Management operations, which include registered broker-dealer and investment advisors offering securities and insurance products and services.
We are seeking a practical lawyer with industry experience to advise on the Securities Exchange Act and Investment Advisors Act, SEC/FINRA rules and interpretive guidance, regulatory exam matters, and trending regulatory developments.
- Provides practical legal advice to help the business achieve organizational goals while minimizing legal risk arising out of broker-dealer and investment advisor rules and regulations;
- Comfortable serving as primary legal counsel for senior executives on complex strategic issues;
- Resolves daily issues and, when appropriate, escalates issues with appropriate analysis and/or recommendations;
- Delivers legal advice with pace, and an in-depth understanding of our business goals and risk tolerance.
- Licensed attorney, typically with 5+ years of legal practice in some combination of private practice, in-house experience or experience at regulatory body relating to the regulation of investment advisory and brokerage business;
- Sense of humor, the ability to share credit, remain calm and kind in complex situations, manage ambiguity and collaborate effectively with other people.
You will have opportunity to advise boards, committees and executives on risk and legal issues arising out of investment advisory and brokerage lines of business. In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- work on interesting and complex legal and regulatory issues arising from the sale of brokerage, investment advisory and insurance services in the United State and Canada;
- work with smart and collaborative legal teammates who like to share credit for our team’s success;
- work at an ethical company where proven executives put our clients first on every decision and respect the rule of law and the role of lawyers;
- work in a communicative culture that rewards your success while at the same time allows for lessons learned;
- work with a leadership team that asks for your advice, values your recommendations, and sets you up with opportunities to develop new skills for further development in your career;
- work in an environment that values candor and diversity of thought;
- work in an environment where we champion alignment, empowerment and recognition for all of our employees;
- work in a hybrid environment where you and your legal teammates come together on a common day every week, and you are encouraged to select another day or two when being in the office will be most productive for you and your clients;
- work for a competitive salary (with the starting total pay range, including year end bonus, being between $230,000 to $260,000) and a fantastic set of employee benefits including ample vacation time for work/life balance.
Last but not least, at BMO, we want our legal team to reflect the diversity of our client base, and we strongly encourage diverse candidates to apply for this position.
For further details, please contact Marc McKay at [email protected]
Job Status: Open
Regions: Chicago, IL