See your Favourite Jobs! Jobs to Compare! Applied Jobs!
Under general supervision, functions as a junior level attorney responsible for litigating personal injury cases brought against the authority. Works with senior attorneys on complex personal injury, subrogation, and property damage defense cases.
- Handles own docket of personal injury cases.
- Interviews witnesses and takes depositions.
- Prepares witnesses for court testimony, advises them on legal processes, and apprises them of evidence needed to present a substantial case.
- Conducts legal research and drafts case documents, pleadings, and motions.
- Reviews and responds to discovery requests.
- Reviews cases for pre-trial negotiation, attends pre-trial disposition conferences, and advises on settlement.
- Represents the Authority during jury and bench trials, hearings and arbitrations.
- Works with senior attorneys in a “second chair” capacity on large personal injury litigation cases including: examining witnesses, arguing motions, and drafting memoranda, briefs, and settlement agreements.
- Provides advice and counsel directly to clients.
- Manages work of paralegals and other support staff assigned to projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
• Administrative Staff
• Working in partnership with client departments and employees to achieve CTA goals.
• Working on many tasks simultaneously.
• Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from an accredited school of law and licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois, plus one (1) year of legal experience, preferably specializing in personal injury, subrogation, or property damage, or an equivalent combination of education and experience relating to this position.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
• Requires sitting for extended periods of time, standing, visual acumen, manual dexterity, and fingering for working with computer key boards.
• Requires physical handling of legal documents and equipment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Working knowledge of applicable federal and state laws.
• Working knowledge of judicial procedures and rules of evidence.
• Strong interpersonal skills to effectively interrelate with clients, Authority personnel, and witnesses.
• Good research, organization and analytical skills to gather and synthesize large volumes of information into a logical convincing case.
• Good verbal and written communication skills to explain important facts clearly, logically, and concisely.
• Good negotiation skills.
• Good interviewing skills.
• Basic skill using Microsoft software.
• Ability to work on multiple projects in stressful situations.
• Ability to provide timely legal advice.
• Ability to work independently and advise and consult with management as needed.
• Ability to lead others and work in a team environment.
• General office environment.
• Works various days and hours.
• Travels regularly to court, depositions, and field locations as necessary..
• Must be vaccinated against Covid-19
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, AND MATERIALS UTILIZED
• Standard office equipment.
• On-line legal research and litigation support software.
Additional Details Please note, employees and/or union members will be given priority consideration in the hiring process, per the applicable labor contracts.
Final salary will be determined in part by the qualifications of the selected candidate and may be higher or lower than target.
Applicants, if hired,must comply with CTA’s residency ordinance.
CTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, unfavorable military discharge, disability or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws; except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists We are committed to providing an inclusive environment for our workforce and supporting the communities we serve. CTA will make reasonable accommodations for the known disabilities of otherwise qualified applicants for employment as well as its employees, unless undue hardship would result. If you require an accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact a[email protected] prior to the submission of your application or upon notification of your actual test date. CTA will work with you to determine if an accommodation can be provided.
Job Status: Open
Job Type: Torts
Regions: Chicago, IL