Staff Attorney – COVID Response DuPage County
Prairie State Legal Services, Inc. has always been committed to providing high-quality legal services to the most vulnerable in our communities, and the COVID-19 Pandemic did not change that mission. PSLS has adapted to meet unique needs of our client population as they faced unprecedented legal issues. On that front, we are pleased to announce that the West Suburban Office of PSLS has received funding from DuPage County to hire additional staff to assist low-income individuals with COVID related legal problems. PSLS is seeking a full-time attorney to serve on this project. Under this project, the Staff Attorney will provide direct services to DuPage County residents who are experiencing legal issues related to the pandemic. The Staff Attorney will also conduct outreach to distribute legal information and provide education to the community. We anticipate that the primary focus for services under this project will be for COVID related housing issues, but the Staff Attorney is able to provide services to clients for other COVID related legal issues as well.
• Provide a full range of legal services, including legal research and factual investigation, counsel and advice, brief services and document preparation, dispute resolution, and representation of clients in administrative and judicial proceedings
• Interview and provide services to applicants on-site at courthouse sites, outreach locations and the office
• Develop and maintain networking relationships with community agencies that serve the client population in targeted communities and with other local stakeholders
• Assist in developing community legal information and training
• Provide accurate and complete information for grant reporting to funders including documenting services in client case records
• Exhibit a high level of personal energy, organization, and commitment to the position and the PSLS mission
Salary and Benefits
The Staff Attorney position is a full-time position at 37.5 hours per week. PSLS offers a salary competitive with similar organizations. Our Staff Attorney salary scale starts at $50,000 per year for candidates who meet the minimum qualifications, and increases with each year of relevant experience. PSLS is committed to providing an excellent, comprehensive benefits package to its full-time employees that includes:
• Health insurance, including the opportunity to qualify for a wellness credit
• Dental insurance
• Vision insurance
• 403b retirement plan including employer contributions
• Extensive training and education program
• Flex scheduling and partial remote work
• PTO that starts at 3 weeks/year and increases with additional years worked at PSLS
Paid sick leave
• 6 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
• 12 paid holidays
• Currently admitted to the practice of law in the State of Illinois, or admitted in another state and eligible for reciprocity in Illinois. Consideration will be given to applicants who will sit for the July 2021 Bar Exam.
• Experience with trial advocacy and negotiation strongly preferred
•Excellent oral/written communication, research skills, and computer competency
• Organizational and case management skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to work effectively as a team member
• Demonstrated commitment and passion for serving disadvantaged populations, knowledge of poverty law, and experience providing services to low-income individuals preferred
Please indicate “COVID Response Staff Attorney – West Suburban” in the subject line and email a letter explaining your interest and experience, resume, three references, and a short writing sample (no more than 10 pages) to [email protected]
Resumes accepted until position is filled.
Prairie State Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, pay, and promote qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, expression, or presentation, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.
Prairie State Legal Services is a not for profit civil legal aid organization that has served northern and central Illinois for more than 40 years, maintains 11 office locations, and has a staff of over 175 employees including training and litigation staff with extensive experience. Our 36 county service area includes rural communities, suburban areas, and mid-size urban cities which necessitates the development of diverse strategies and we encourage our staff to cultivate and utilize creative approaches to reach and serve our client population. Employees of PSLS benefit from the expertise and community connections of their local office staff along with robust program-wide resources. We strive to provide an array of services responsive to the needs of our clients and therefore have developed several specialized projects and maintain one of the most productive pro bono programs in the nation. PSLS has excellent fiscal controls and upholds the highest rating from Charity Navigator and Guidestar. For more information regarding PSLS services and operations, please visit our website at www.pslegal.org.
Job Status: Open
Job Type: Healthcare, Legal
Regions: Chicago, IL