Senior Counsel, Labor & Employment – Mauser Packaging Solutions
Mauser Packaging Solutions (“Mauser” or the “Company”) has engaged Major, Lindsey & Africa
on an exclusive basis to conduct a search for a Senior Counsel, Labor & Employment to be
located at its headquarters in Oak Brook, Illinois. Interested candidates please submit your
resume to Casey Gordon ([email protected]) or to the MLA recruiter who contacted you
about this position. Please do not contact the Company directly; all resumes sent to the Company
will be routed to MLA for handling and will create delays.
Overview: Reporting to Mauser’s EVP, General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer, the Senior
Counsel, Labor & Employment will provide labor and employment advice and counsel to the
Company’s Human Resources leadership team across the organization, including all business
operations and corporate functions. This position will be located at Mauser’s headquarters in
Oak Brook, Illinois (a suburb of Chicago).
Company: Mauser Packaging Solutions is a global leader in solutions and services across the
packaging lifecycle, providing large and small metal, plastic, fiber and hybrid packaging
worldwide to companies in industries from food, beverage, personal care and pharmaceuticals
to chemicals, petrochemicals, agrochemicals and paints. Bringing together the very best of its
four legacy companies— BWAY, MAUSER Group, NCG and ICS—Mauser Packaging Solutions
offers its customers true sustainability at scale. For more information, visit
Compensation: Competitive and commensurate with experience.
Relocation: No; local candidates strongly preferred.
Experience: The successful candidate will have at least 8-12 years of experience practicing
labor and employment law, a substantial portion of which has been spent in-house. Prior
experience working for a multistate manufacturing company preferred. Experience with
employee benefits programs will be an advantage.
Headquartered outside of Chicago, in Oak Brook, Illinois, and tracing its roots back to 1875,
Mauser Packaging Solutions is a global leader in solutions and services across the packaging
lifecycle, providing large and small metal, plastic, fiber and hybrid packaging worldwide to
companies in industries from food, beverage, personal care and pharmaceuticals to chemicals,
petrochemicals, agrochemicals and paints. Bringing together the very best of its four legacy
companies— BWAY, MAUSER Group, NCG and ICS—Mauser Packaging Solutions offers its
customers true sustainability at scale. Mauser’s tagline is “Redefining Sustainability,” reflecting its
dedication to serving customers of all four legacy companies with capabilities that span every
phase of the packaging process and its fresh vision for the future. From new packaging made
from recycled content, to reconditioning, reuse and recycling, Mauser Packaging Solutions brings
sustainability at scale to companies all over the world.
For more information, visit www.mauserpackaging.com.
Mauser is seeking a Senior Counsel, Labor & Employment, to join its legal team. Reporting to the
EVP, General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer, the attorney will support and partner with
the Company’s HR leadership throughout the organization. Specific responsibilities include:
• Provide legal counsel on labor and employment related matters, which may include human
resources issues, wage and hour law matters, workers’ compensation, wrongful
termination, discrimination, unemployment and other state agency claims, labor relations,
employee benefits, employment agreements and policy related issues, FMLA matters,
employment related litigation, and grievances and arbitration.
• Provide advice and counsel on employment law issues including hiring, discipline,
terminations, pay, employee benefits, and immigration matters.
• Play key advisory role as it relates to collective bargaining agreements, negotiations, and
labor grievance arbitration proceedings.
• Advise on U.S. employee benefits programs, policies, and related governance matters
• Conduct internal investigations pertaining to employment or workplace-related concerns.
• Collaborate with HR on the development and deployment of policies, processes,
tool/templates, trainings, and best practices.
Qualifications & Skills
• JD from an accredited law school and member in good standing with the Illinois bar.
• 8-12+ years of experience practicing labor and employment law, with ideally at least 8
years as in-house counsel.
• Strong preference for experience working for a multistate manufacturing company.
• Expertise/experience in the following areas of law: workers’ compensation; termination of
employment; FMLA, ADA accommodations, and leaves of absences; global mobility and
immigration; sexual harassment; workplace safety; wage and overtime standards; privacy
rights; and employment discrimination.
• Experience with employment and independent contractor agreements, including executive
employee separation agreements.
• Experience with labor and employment litigation and administrative proceedings before
the EEOC, NLRB, and OSHA.
• Familiarity with collective bargaining agreements, negotiations, and labor grievance
• Experience with employee benefits programs.
• Ability to manage a heavy workload in a high-pressure environment. Calm under
• Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills within and across
departments and externally.
• Sound judgment; ability to clearly make reasoned recommendations, taking into account
corporate and commercial objectives while balancing risk.
• Self-starter with good business sense and a sense of urgency, honesty and fairness.
• Knowledge of and prior experience advising on Canadian labor and employment law
matters is a plus.
MAUSER IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND ENCOURAGES DIVERSE
CANDIDATES TO APPLY.
To Apply: Interested candidates please submit your resume to Casey Gordon, [email protected]
Job Status: Open
Job Type: Labor & Employment, Legal