Legal Senior Counsel – BMO Financial Group
Based in our Chicago office, this senior counsel role presents a unique opportunity for an experienced, high performing lawyer to have significant responsibility supporting the retail and business banking businesses in the U.S. across the full range of its activities – advising on the legal and regulatory aspects of consumer banking strategy, initiatives, products and services (deposits, lending) across all channels (branch, digital), including related marketing and communications; drafting required documentation; negotiating acquisition, service, marketing and other arrangements; advising on regulatory remediation; and supporting a wide variety of day to day inquiries from all levels of our P&BB business. Will provide and manage the delivery of legal and regulatory advice on products, initiatives, strategies, policies and developments for and on behalf of BMO Financial Group. Will provide legal advice based on knowledge of legal principles, practices and procedures, and knowledge of the financial services industry and its environment. Will influence and negotiate to achieve business objectives. Will work to achieve organizational goals while minimizing legal risk.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A bank or consumer regulatory background, lending background, M&A/transactional background or bank/consumer regulatory litigation background with well developed drafting skills and experience with fair lending regulations
- Enthusiasm to learn the consumer banking business, willingness to generally be “on call” and “roll up sleeves” to help address a wide variety of issues and confidence to advise senior leaders of the bank on legal and regulatory considerations and best practices will be considered without specific industry experience
- Creative problem-solving skills with a customer-centric perspective
- Ownership of issues and matters and ability to concurrently manage multiple high-risk, time-sensitive matters independently and with integrity
- Facility with laws and regulations relating to the banking and finance industry, with emphasis on consumer federal and state law
- Willingness to step into unfamiliar spaces and more routine matters to support the broader team.
- Providing and managing the delivery of legal and regulatory advice on products, initiatives, strategies, policies and developments for and on behalf of BMO Financial Group based on knowledge of legal principles, practices and procedures, and knowledge of the financial services industry and its environment
- Influencing and negotiating to achieve business objectives
- Working to achieve organizational goals within our risk appetite
- Providing legal advice on strategy, initiatives, products, services and transactions based on an in-depth understanding of the business/group
- Acting as the prime subject matter expert for internal/external stakeholders on relevant laws, regulations and policies
- Identifying and resolving moderately complex issues
- Exercising judgement on complex, confidential and sensitive matters
- Determining root causes and negotiating resolutions
- Delivering legal advice, instructing external counsel and helping to ensure compliance with internal policies & procedures
- Resolving daily issues and/or escalating issues with appropriate analysis and/or recommendations
- Identifying risks and implements appropriate actions to mitigate them
- Implementing areas of improvement to ensure consistency with the industry and marketplace.
- Building effective relationships with internal/ external stakeholders
- Operating at a group/enterprise-wide level and serves as a specialist resource to senior leaders and stakeholders\
- Applying expertise and thinking creatively to address unique or ambiguous situations and to find solutions to problems that can be complex and non-routine
- Implementing changes in response to shifting trends
- Makes recommendations to senior leaders on strategy and new initiatives, based on an in-depth understanding of the business/group
- May participate in the design of legal advice strategies & approaches for the unit activity and making recommendations to minimize legal issues
- Acts as the prime subject matter expert for internal/external stakeholders
- Exercises judgement on complex, confidential and sensitive matters
- Identifies and resolves moderately complex issues
- Determines root causes and negotiates resolutions
- Delivers legal advice, instructs external counsel and ensures compliance with internal policies & procedures for a single or small number of function(s)
- Acts as a subject matter expert on relevant laws, regulations and policies
- Resolves daily issues and/or escalates with appropriate analysis and/or recommendations
- Identifies risks and implements appropriate actions to mitigate them
- Implements areas of improvement to ensure consistency with market place
- Builds effective relationships with internal/ external stakeholders
- Geographic scope: up to global
- Operates at a group/enterprise-wide level and serves as a specialist resource to senior leaders and stakeholders
- Applies expertise and thinks creatively to address unique or ambiguous situations and to find solutions to problems that can be complex and non-routine
- Implements changes in response to shifting trends
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed
- Typically, at least 7 years of legal practice with a majority of those years in a field developing the relevant skills for this role
- Degree in law (JD) and license to practice law in relevant jurisdiction
- Private practice, in-house experience, experience at regulatory body relating to the regulation of business/group activities, or combination of those required
- Knowledge of business and regulatory environment in which BMO Financial Group operates
- Advanced knowledge of subject matter legal requirements
- Negotiation skills
- Seasoned professional with a combination of education, experience and industry knowledge.
- Verbal & written communication skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Influence skills
- Collaboration skills; with a focus on cross-group collaboration
- Able to manage ambiguity
- Data driven decision making
- We’re here to help
At BMO Harris Bank we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO Harris Bank team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmoharris.com.
BMO Harris Bank is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. BMO Harris Bank N.A. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Job Status: Open
Job Type: Bankruptcy and Restructuring
Duty Hours: Full-Time
Location: 111 W Monroe – 115 S LaSalle