Assistant General Counsel Technology, Procurement & Marketing-W.W. Grainger, Inc.
Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 4,500 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.5 million products stocked in Grainger’s distribution centers and branches worldwide.
The Assistant General Counsel, Technology, Procurement and Marketing, reports directly to the Vice President, Associate General Counsel. He/she is a strategic business partner to Grainger’s Digital, Procurement and Technology teams and supports the development, management and execution of technology and strategic digital product offerings. He/she is responsible for handling an array of technology, intellectual property, marketing, data security, privacy, licensing, indirect commercial transaction and other related legal matters to support the Company’s digital, technology and customer strategy and marketing efforts, while minimizing company risk and ensuring compliance.
- Understand the Company’s business, products, technology and operations, including its software, systems, vendors, policies, practices, processes and capabilities.
- Serve as point of contact for day-to-day legal support for Customer Strategy and Marketing Dept, Digital and Technology teams.
- Provide counseling on a wide variety of (matters including, but not limited to, IT, digital, advertising, marketing, IP, SaaS, data security, privacy, data usage, ownership and licensing and procurement) to ensure compliance with applicable laws and agreements.
- Align company policies and procedures to comply with current laws and industry standards on a wide range of marketing (digital and offline) and related activities.
- Support compliance efforts with respect to U.S. and international laws (including CCPA and GDPR) and regulations related to data privacy, data security, and data governance.
- Develop and deliver training and tools to business stakeholders and legal colleagues in support of sourcing and procurement, technology, marketing, privacy, data security, open source software and digital legal projects, programs and policies.
- Manage strategic outside counsel relationships.
- Negotiate technology, SaaS, e-Commerce, marketplace, privacy, data security, and marketing agreements, including services and consulting agreements, pilot and evaluation agreements, promotions and sponsorship agreements, paid search and other SEO and digital marketing related agreements, email and channel marketing, service provider agreements and other agreements in the areas of website functionality and development, user experience, digital advertising, analytics, social media and related vendor relationship documentation, hosting and consulting services, telecommunications, and other related engagements.
- Review and counsel on a wide variety of digital and traditional marketing and advertising issues and programs
- Counselling business on the creation, use, development, requirements and protection of custom software code, including the use of proprietary and static and dynamically linked open source software.
Required Experiences and Competencies
- Minimum of six to ten years of legal experience in a large law firm or large company with a primary emphasis on technology, digital, marketing, professional services, and other related transactions for indirect use.
- Ability to identify and ensure compliance with regulatory and contractual requirements.
- Possess a deep understanding of business and legal issues associated with software (including cloud and open source), technology, commercial distribution operations, digital and IP issues related to ownership, joint development, innovation and website development.
- Possess a deep understanding of applicable rules and regulations such as Can Spam, TCPA, and other FTC and state marketing regulations and requirements.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, superior oral and written legal and business communication skills, and an individual who is a self-starter with a project management mindset.
- Team-oriented and client focused; the ability to work with executives and personnel at all levels within the organization.
- Strong practical, analytical and strategic thinker who can support the Company’s business.
- Possess effective verbal and written communication skills and be able to synthesize information and provide relevant and practical guidance.
- Able to handle time sensitive projects, as well as rapidly shifting priorities.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; strong initiative and hard-working; ability to prioritize multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
- Strong research and analytic skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to master technology collaboration tools.
- Knowledge of domestic and international privacy rules and regulations.
- Experience partnering with procurement, marketing, data security, privacy, IT, and sales teams.
- Experience in structuring, drafting and negotiating a wide variety of agreements related to key vendor relationships with “outside the box” thinking to accommodate various vendor requirements while maintaining optimal protection for Grainger and understanding and managing risk.
- Knowledge of direct and digital / online marketing rules and regulations and experience with a wide variety of IP issues, including trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets and proprietary data protection principles.
- Able to perform in a fast-paced environment where prioritization and ability to work independently are a requirement for success.
- Additional skills a plus:
- Academic or professional background in software, technology or negotiations
- Software development or project management experience
Apply online at: https://jobs.grainger.com/Grainger/job/LAKE-FOREST-Assistant-General-Counsel-Technology,-Procurement-and-Marketing-IL-60045-5201/753901000/?utm_source=SourcingLinkedIn&utm_campaign=AGC%20Tech%20Procuremt%20Mktg
Job Status: Open
Job Type: Legal
Regions: Lake Forest