Assistant General Counsel, Corporate & Securities-W.W. Grainger, Inc.
Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 4,500 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.5 million products stocked in Grainger’s distribution centers and branches worldwide.
The Assistant General Counsel, Corporate & Securities will be a member of the Company’s Corporate Secretary team reporting directly to the Vice President, Corporate Secretary. Leveraging a team of three corporate paralegals, this person will collaborate and work cross-functionally across multiple departments in a variety of general corporate and securities matters, including SEC reporting and compliance, Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) matters, corporate finance and treasury matters, mergers and acquisitions and other corporate development initiatives, corporate financings, credit, collections and bankruptcy matters, global subsidiary management, internal restructurings, intercompany transactions and agreements, and other areas as may be assigned. This is a front-line role for a confident, proactive, commercially-minded lawyer with a strong public company transactional background, high levels of autonomy and an ability to manage complicated projects while bringing end-to-end thinking with sound, pragmatic judgment to ambiguous situations.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Understand Grainger’s business and culture.
- Assist in the preparation of SEC filings, including Forms 10-K, 10-Q and 8-K, proxy statements, registration statements and Section 16 filings.
- Support various aspects of the Sarbanes-Oxley compliance process, including the quarterly SOX business unit certification process.
- Partner cross-functionally with Controllership, Corporate Development, Credit & Collections, Executive Compensation, Finance, Internal Audit, Investor Relations, Tax, Treasury, and other corporate functions on a wide range of general corporate and securities matters, including global cash management and capital deployment, credit facilities, public securities offerings, share repurchases, cash repatriations and subsidiary fundings, mergers and acquisitions and other corporate development initiatives, bankruptcy matters, intercompany agreements, cross-border business and tax planning, internal controls and other matters.
- Lead global subsidiary management with cross-functional teams, including the establishment, maintenance, restructuring and liquidation of domestic and international subsidiaries.
- Lead due diligence and draft and negotiate complex corporate and securities transactional documentation.
- Function as a corporate transactional generalist, providing assistance and guidance to the Company in a broad scope of areas as may be assigned from time to time while supporting and interacting with the team’s senior lawyers and other legal and business colleagues.
- Where the needs of a project require outside counsel involvement, effectively oversee and manage outside counsel, including as to strategy, scope, staffing and budgeting matters.
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree from a leading law school with strong academic credentials.
- Member in good standing of a state bar and able to be admitted to practice law in the State of Illinois.
- At least 5-7 years of general corporate and securities legal experience, including at a large law firm.
- Strong corporate and securities transactional background, with M&A, corporate finance, SEC reporting, corporate governance/ESG and public company advisory experience.
- Ability to work with internal clients independently while providing entrepreneurial, pragmatic, business-oriented advice.
- Ability to write succinctly for a business audience while making complex concepts easy to understand.
- Ability to thrive in a large, fast-paced environment with a high level of autonomy, professionalism and outstanding business judgment.
- Self-starter with strong project management skills, a process-oriented and continuous improvement mindset, and the ability to drive projects to completion.
- Team player with “can do” attitude. Has ability to get along with diverse corporate professionals, adapt to different styles and work with executives and personnel at all levels within the organization.
- Excellent communication, organizational and time management skills, strong initiative and hard-working, ability to prioritize multiple assignments and meet deadlines amidst rapidly changing priorities.
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills with a high degree of attention to detail.
- Desire to grow and be in a role that develops over time.
Apply online at: https://jobs.grainger.com/Grainger/job/LAKE-FOREST-Assistant-General-Counsel-Corporate-&-Securities-IL-60045-5201/753830100/?utm_source=SourcingLinkedIn&utm_campaign=AGC%20Corp%20and%20Securities%20LI
Job Status: Open
Job Type: Legal
Regions: Lake Forest