Prairie State Legal Services Job Opportunity Announcement Staff Attorney
Prairie State Legal Services Job Opportunity Announcement Staff Attorney – Elder Justice Program Joliet, IL
Prairie State Legal Services, Inc. is seeking an Elder Justice Staff Attorney to join our team in the Joliet Office. Under this project, PSLS provides comprehensive legal assistance to vulnerable older adults, including those requiring long term care via nursing home, supportive living, assisted housing or in-home care and those who are victims of elder abuse. Staff attorneys at PSLS provide a wide-range of legal services to some of the most vulnerable members of our communities, including low-income individuals, older adults, veterans, and people with disabilities. We focus services on legal problems that impact the ability of our clients to meet their basic human needs, including physical safety, access to healthcare, adequate housing, and financial stability. Prairie State is the only legal aid organization in the majority of our area and we pride ourselves on providing high quality legal services to our clients while fostering a work environment that is motivating, collaborative, and rewarding, with plenty of opportunities for professional growth.
Job Description Among other duties as assigned, the Staff Attorney will:
- Provide victim-centered direct legal services – legal screening, advice, brief service, direct representation–to older victims of crime in rural communities to address civil legal issues that arise from the victimization
- Interview applicants for legal services and assess their legal issues with a focus on those issues that have an immediate impact on their basic human needs
- Provide legal services including legal research and factual investigation, counsel and advice, brief services and document preparation, dispute resolution, and representation of clients in administrative and judicial proceedings
- Develop and maintain networking relationships with local bar associations and with local, state, and federal governments and community agencies that serve older adults
- Actively contributing to and participating in Elder Justice Program cohort activities (resource exchanges; mandatory webinars and conference calls; and trainings including Equal Justice Works Leadership Development Training.
- Strategize, plan and conduct training and outreach on elder abuse to legal and allied professionals
- Protect and enforce victims’ rights on behalf of clients
- Conduct outreach events with client communities, including client education and intake events at community partner locations
- Provide accurate and complete information for grant reporting to grant funders including documenting services in the case record
- Actively participate in an internal task force related to one or more areas of our practice
- Exhibit a high level of personal energy, organization, and commitment to the position and the PSLS mission
Salary and Benefits
The Staff Attorney position is a full-time position at 37.5 hours per week. PSLS offers a salary competitive with similar organizations. Our Staff Attorney salary scale starts at $50,000 per year for candidates who meet the minimum qualifications, and increases with each year of relevant experience. PSLS is committed to providing an excellent, comprehensive benefits package to its full-time employees that includes:
• Health insurance, including the opportunity to qualify for a wellness credit
• Dental insurance
• Vision insurance
• 403b Retirement Plan including employer contributions
• Extensive training and education program
• Flex scheduling and partial remote work available
• PTO that starts at 3 weeks/year and increases with additional years worked at PSLS
• Paid sick leave
• 6 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
• 12 Paid holidays
- Candidates who are currently admitted to the practice of law in the State of Illinois, or admitted in another state and eligible for reciprocity in Illinois are preferred. Consideration will be given to law graduates who will be sitting for the February 2022 bar exam.
- Experience in trial advocacy and negotiation preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral/written communication, research skills, and computer competency
- Organizational and case management proficiency
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Spanish language proficiency is preferred, but not required
- Some travel is required; applicant must have a valid driver’s license and/or reliable transportation
- We will give preference to candidates who have experience providing services to low-income individuals
Please indicate “Joliet Elder Justice Staff Attorney” in the subject line and email a letter explaining your interest and experience, resume, three references, and a short writing sample (no more than 10 pages) to [email protected]
Resumes accepted until position is filled.
Prairie State Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, pay, and promote qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, expression, or presentation, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.
The Organization Prairie State Legal Services is a not for profit civil legal aid organization that has served northern and central Illinois for more than 40 years, maintains 11 office locations, and has a staff of over 175 employees including training and litigation staff with extensive experience. Our 36 county service area includes rural communities, suburban areas, and mid-size urban cities which necessitates the development of diverse strategies and we encourage our staff to cultivate and utilize creative approaches to reach and serve our client population. Employees of PSLS benefit from the expertise and community connections of their local office staff along with robust program-wide resources. We strive to provide an array of services responsive to the needs of our clients and therefore have developed several specialized projects and maintain one of the most productive pro bono programs in the nation. PSLS has excellent fiscal controls and upholds the highest rating from Charity Navigator and Guidestar. For more information regarding PSLS services and operations, please visit our website at www.pslegal.org.
Job Status: Open
Job Type: Civil Rights
Regions: IL, Joilet