Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
Director of Inclusion & Diversity – US
The Director of Inclusion & Diversity – US (“Director of I&D-US”) is responsible for strategic initiatives and the successful delivery of projects and activities relating to inclusion and diversity in the US offices of the Firm and will work with the Head of I&D – EMEA & Asia to manage and deliver Firmwide initiatives. The Director of I&D – US will work with Firm and office leadership, the Global Inclusion and Diversity Board, partner champions, affinity groups, and dedicated inclusion & diversity task-groups to diversify the make-up of all BCLP constituents and develop a more inclusive culture. The Director of I&D – US will also be an ambassador for the Firm’s I&D strategy externally, both within the legal sector and beyond.
In the US offices of the Firm and on global I&D initiatives:
· Assist with developing a US-wide strategy on I&D initiatives
· Lead the development and implementation of key I&D projects
· Collaborate with stakeholders and task-groups to develop initiatives that support the overall I&D strategy
· Engage with relevant senior management and group leaders to ensure policies and practices are supportive of an inclusive working environment
· Work with various Business Services (Staff) groups to ensure diversity principles and best practice are included into their work
· Manage all diversity-related reporting to our regulators, benchmarking organizations and award submissions within the US
· Ensure regular progress updates are provided to key stakeholders (e.g., the Global Inclusion and Diversity Board, the leadership team, etc.)
· Provides input to firm leaders on I&D issues related to compensation and promotion
· Facilitate and deliver I&D training, or co-delivers with our external expert providers
· Proactively identify opportunities to strengthen client relationships through diversity projects and collaborations, including through reporting demographic data to existing corporate clients and assisting attorneys in responding to Requests For Proposal pertaining to the Firm’s workplace diversity
· Develop links with key external organizations and bodies, e.g., ALFDP, Diversity Lab, LCLD, MCCA, NAPABA, HNBA, NBA, Lavender Law, ACC, etc.
· Has a full understanding of the Mansfield Rule, participates in industry discussions and meetings on Mansfield, and has oversight and gives advice with senior management and group leaders on Mansfield compliance
· Tracks industry trends to evaluate whether BCLP’s I&D initiatives and stats are consistent with peer firms
· Act as an external ambassador for I&D, promoting change within the sector and wider community, representing the Firm at external seminars and forums, and speaking on panels
· Build strong external I&D networks
· Assist in measuring contributions of individual attorneys on achievement of diversity goals
· Create and build personal relationships with and among diverse attorneys in the US offices, including counseling individual attorneys on career development issues and conducting exit interviews of diverse attorneys who leave the Firm
· Provide ongoing support and guidance to the affinity groups
· Visit all of the Firm’s US offices on a regular basis to ensure coordination and implementation of responsive diversity and professional development initiatives (subject to the Firm’s travel policies and guidelines)
· Manage budget for inclusion and diversity as well as specific initiatives and projects
· Create diversity and development content for use on the Firm’s website and work with the marketing department to ensure that the diversity initiatives are reflective in all external communications
· Perform other duties as assigned
Essential Job Specifications/Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
· Possess a deep understanding of I&D best-practices
· Strong influencing skills: ability to gain credibility across all levels of staff and “sell” inclusion and diversity
· Excellent communication, interpersonal and relationship building skills with the ability to quickly build strong relationships and liaise with different parts of the Firm
· Strong project management and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks/projects and conflicting stakeholder priorities and to work across diverse populations
· Ability to understand strategic priorities and to present pragmatic, commercial solutions
· Possess resilience to challenge where needed
· Ability to deliver high-quality presentations, and to lead and facilitate meetings
· A leader and team player – ready to pitch in and support not just the I&D team but the wider HR team
· Ability to work with minimal supervision
· Ability to work under pressure and take a flexible approach to service delivery
· Excellent attention to detail and accuracy, particularly in respect to diversity data
· Trustworthy with the ability to deal with confidential information
· Tenacity, drive to succeed and a can-do attitude
· Enthusiastic, passionate, energetic, self-driven and outcome focused
This position may have direct and indirect supervisory responsibilities.
NOTE: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires travel domestically and internationally to the Firm’s offices and diversity events (subject to the Firm’s travel policies and guidelines).
· Undergraduate degree in Business, Communications, Cross-Cultural Studies or other relevant fields
· Master’s degree in Business, Communications, Cross-Cultural Studies or other relevant fields is a plus
· Experience in a professional organization with a successful track record of managing diversity initiatives
· Juris Doctorate is a plus
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent in the position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills of the employee. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer