Annual Meeting 2017
The Chicago Committee Holds Annual Meeting to Honor 30th Anniversary
On March 2, 2017, The Chicago Committee held its Annual Meeting, which GE hosted. Over seventy people attended the Annual Meeting, including Managing Partners and Diversity personnel from member firms. Michael Chu, Chair of The Chicago Committee began the meeting with welcoming remarks and recognized that 2017 marks The Chicago Committee’s 30th Anniversary and the 10th Anniversary of the Associate Board of Directors. The meeting continued with comments from Executive Director, Jennifer Reddien, as well as the Board of Directors and the Associate Board of Directors, who highlighted some of the organization’s accomplishments in 2016 and goals for 2017.
Some of The Chicago Committee’s accomplishments in 2016 are as follows:
- Four new Board Members to the Board of Directors
- Eight new Board Members to the Associate Board of Directors
- O.R.E. programs: The Ins and Outs of Equity Partnership, The Art of Sales-Free Selling, Negotiation Skills Workshop
- First year sponsoring Practice Pro, a program for law students/summer associates regarding transitioning to working at a law firm
- Annual programs, including the Associate Boot Camp, Summer Soiree, Rate My Pitch, and the Minority In-House and Associate Bash
The Chicago Committee hopes to attain the following goals in 2017:
- Add more Board Members to both the Board of Directors and the Associate Board of Directors
- Offer Mentorship Academy over the course of 2017
- Offer more programming for partners
- Hold a Mid-Level Boot Camp
- Hold a Mock Promotions Meeting
- Additional In-House Counsel Networking
- Expand consulting services, including but not limited to: Rate My Pitch at individual firms, diversity workshops, and The Chicago Committee’s Talent Development Initiative (TDI)
Brent Hawkins, former Chair of the Board of Directors, spoke about his experience with TDI at McDermott Will & Emery LLP.
The meeting continued with a riveting discussion by a panel of corporate counsel who commented on diversity and law firms. The panel included Tom LaFrance (General Counsel, GE Transportation), Nadim Kazi (Associate General Counsel, Exelon), and Gilda Spencer (Senior Vice President and Assistant General Counsel, Allstate). Hannah Jurowicz, Vice Chair of the Associate Board, led the discussion. The meeting concluded with Kevin Slaughter of the Board of Directors and Keithan Hedrick of the Associate Board of Directors discussing metrics for awards to be issued at subsequent annual meetings.
For more information regarding the information above, please see The Chicago Committee’s 2016 Annual Report at www.chicagocommittee.org/annualreport.
The 2016 Annual Report contains the following: The Chicago Committee mission, letter from the Chair, Executive Director’s look ahead, 2016 accomplishments, 2016 programming, 2017 goals and implementation, 2017 programming, financial status, membership, Board of Directors, Associate Board of Directors, staff, thank you to our sponsors, and our contact information.
Click the link to view the report: Annual Report 2016